(TELESUR) – Following months of threats from President Rodrigo Duterte, a cargo vessel docked in the Philippines Thursday and will be used to send dozens of containers with illegally shipped trash back to Canada.
“I think the message that we’re sending to the world is that we will not be a pushover and, moreover, that the president is really somebody to reckon with,” Subic Bay freeport administrator Wilma Eisma, said.
Earlier this month, the government recalled its ambassador and consuls in Canada after Ottawa failed to comply with a May 15 deadline to take back the waste, despite the Canadian government agreeing to do so.
“If Canada will not accept their trash, we will leave the same within its territorial waters,” Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo said. “The president’s stance is as principled as it is uncompromising: The Philippines as an independent sovereign nation must not be treated as trash by other foreign nations.”
Last week, Canadian Environment Minister Catherine McKenna claimed that a French shipping company had been contracted to accommodate the return of the containers waste, by the end of June.