Mayham Plagues Libyan Capital as Death Toll Rises to 432

(TELESUR) – A total of 432 people have been killed and 2,069 others injured in the fighting between the UN-backed Government of National Accord and the Benghazi-based Libyan National Army, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Monday.

“Since the armed conflict in Tripoli, Libya began, 432 people have died, 2,069 people have been wounded, and more than 50,000 have had to flee their homes,” WHO tweeted. “Every day of violence means more people killed, injured, or displaced.”

The Libyan National Army, who is led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, is currently on the offensive to capture the capital city of Tripoli, which is located in the northwestern part of the country.

Haftar has received support from several nations, including Russia, Egypt, and the United States, despite having no recognition from the United Nations. The LNA leader was previously a general under the leadership of former President Muammar Gaddafi.

The LNA’s rivals, the Government of National Accord, is also led by a former member of the Gaddafi inner-circle. The leader of the GNA, Prime Minister Fayez Sarraj, has demanded that the United Nations intervene to put a halt to Haftar’s offensive.

During a cabinet meeting last Thursday, Libyan Prime Minister Fayez Serraj said there will be no cease-fire until the rival army forces “return to where they came from.”

Libya has been struggling to make a democratic transition amid chaos since the fall of former leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.