A spokesperson for Iran’s health ministry confirmed in a television interview on Tuesday that Harirchi has been infected and is under quarantine.
ILNA reported Monday that officials from the city of Qom had said there had been 50 coronavirus deaths there. “We prefer not to censor what concerns the coronavirus because people’s lives are in danger,” the outlet said.
Harirchi rejected that report, however, saying he would resign if even half of that number had died.
Tehran confirmed its first two cases of the novel virus COVID-19 last Wednesday, with the health ministry saying that two patients had been put into isolation.