(BBC) – At least 18 people have been killed after a 6.4 magnitude earthquake hit Albania, the defence ministry says.
The quake brought down buildings and left people trapped under rubble. One man died after jumping from a window in panic after the tremor struck.
The quake hit 34km (21 miles) north-west of the capital, Tirana, in the early hours of Tuesday.
Hours later, a separate earthquake struck the city of Mostar in Bosnia. There were no reports of casualties.
Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama said rescuers would “continue to search patiently and thoroughly to the end”.
“We have victims. We are working to do everything possible in the affected areas,” he wrote on Twitter.
What has happened since the earthquake?
Soldiers, police and emergency workers have been searching through the debris of buildings, where people are still believed to be trapped. So far, some 42 survivors have been extracted from the ruins, according to officials.
The majority of fatalities occurred in the coastal city of Durres and in the town of Thumane, 40km to the north-west of Tirana and close to the epicentre, according to the defence ministry.