The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Commerce will be hosting a number of activities to join in the international centennial celebrations to commemorate the life and legacy of Nelson Mandela. These activities will take place across St. Vincent at various locations and different times.
The activities will take place as follows:
- Sunday 15th July, 2018 – Centennial 100 Leg Relay will commence at different starting points on the windward and Leeward coasts of the island (at 10:00 a.m. in Fancy, 1:00 p.m. in Fitz Hughes and 3:00 p.m. in Greiggs). The relay races will climax at the cruise Hip Birth Terminal in Capital City, Kingstown. Following which at 6:00 p.m. a Freedom Songs Concert will be held. The Freedom Songs Concert will see performances from several Artistes and Cultural Groups.
- Monday 16th July, 2018 from 7:00 p.m. at French’s House will be a Nelson Mandela Lecture entitled “Renewing the Mandela Legacy and Promoting Active Citizenship in a Changing World.
- Tuesday 17th July, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. at the Russell’s Cinema, there will be a showing of the movie “Invictus” which tells the story of Mandela’s unification of South African through Sports, specifically rugby.
- Wednesday 18th July, 2018 – on this day celebrated internationally as Nelson Mandela Day, persons from the public and private sectors are invited to dress in African attire to pay respect to the impact of Nelson Mandela’s Legacy as well as to recognize the ancestral cultural links between nationals of SVG and the African region.
- Thursday 19th July, 2018 – There will be a showing of a Documentary Feature by the API. Also on this day, there will be an official renaming of the South Leeward Highway to be called “The Mandela Drive” scheduled to take place from 2:00 p.m. in Questelles.
- Friday 20th July, 2018 – The Ministry of Foreign affairs will host recognition of Winners of the Nelson Mandela Mural Painting Competition which was held on July 6th, 2018 & most Prominent Entity of the Mandela Dress Day being held on 18th July, 2018.