The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Fisheries, Rural Transformation, Industry and Labour in collaboration with the Embassy of the Republic of China (Taiwan) in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines will on Monday 14, January, 2019 officially hand over the project “Strengthening Farmers’ Organization and Improving Fruit and Vegetable Production Technology in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines” and the New Compost Production Facility located at the Orange Hill Agriculture Biotechnology Centre.
The handing over ceremony will be held at the Orange Hill Agriculture Biotechnology Centre and commences at 10:00 a.m.
The project “Strengthening Farmers’ Organization and Improve Fruit and Vegetable Production Technology” was executed over a 4 year period at a cost of EC$7,273,832.00 and involved:
- The establishment of 8 farmers’ cooperatives producing different agricultural commodities.
- Training of farmers and extension officers to strengthen their capacity to aid in the improved management of cooperative organisations. Under the project, several farmers and government officers participated in training programmes conducted locally as well as in Taiwan.
- Soil sample collection, analysis and fertilizer recommendations
- Outfitting of the Probiotics Laboratory
- Improved technologies to enhance the production of biofertilizers and biopesticides.
- The development of cultivations models for watermelon, pineapple, sweet pepper, tomatoes and carrots.
- The procurement of equipment and training in the analysis of pesticide residue in local and imported fruits and vegetables.
- The procurement of agricultural equipment such as tillers and sprayers to support agricultural cooperatives
The Compost facility was constructed at a cost of EC$1.5 million dollars is equipped with three (3) bio-digesters for making compost and a steam sterilizing machine for the sterilization of soil and other inputs used for vegetable seedling production.
Monday’s handing over ceremony will hear addresses from Parliamentary Representative for North Windward, Hon. Montgomery Daniel, Ambassador of the Republic of China (Taiwan) in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, His Excellency Mr. Calvin Chen-Huan Ho.
The feature address will be delivered by Hon. Saboto Caesar, Minister of Agriculture, Forestry, Fisheries, Rural Transformation, Industry and Labour.