Father Alleges Police Cover-Up Of A Sexual Offense Against His Underage Daughter

Even as law enforcement in Antigua promises an investigation of one of their own, a distraught father is alleging police cover-up of a sexual offense against his underage daughter.

The father, whose name is being withheld since the crime is of a sexual nature, said the officer departed Antigua on Sunday 2nd October.

According to the man’s complaint, the alleged perpetrator is known to the family and had been visiting their home for several months.

The man said he noticed changes in his 13-year-old daughter’s behaviour and temperament and upon investigation he learnt that the minor was “violated twice” by the officer.

The father shared a letter with OBSERVER media, which, he said, the minor wrote to him giving details of the incident, which occurred in July and again in September.

police-investigation

He said he received the letter last Wednesday and a day later he filed a report at the Criminal Investigations Department (CID).

“I told them what happened and gave them a copy of the letter. But to my surprise, the police came back and asked me for the original copy of the letter, but I refused. And right there I felt they were trying to cover up something.”

The father of four said that he was astonished when he learnt the man had left the island despite the report which was filed against him.

He is calling for an investigation into the entire Royal Police Force of Antigua & Barbuda. He is also asking for justice for the minor, who he said will have to undergo counselling due to the ordeal.

“I don’t understand why they allowed him to leave the country, knowing that an investigating was ongoing into the incident. The police are covering up the matter. Didn’t they think he could have fled the country?” the father argued.

The lobby group, The Movement has weighed in on the issue, and is also calling for an investigation into the matter.

The group is demanding an investigation into the actions or inaction of police who could have prevented the departure of the alleged perpetrator. It is also asking the police to come public on why the officer was not taken in for questioning, since September 28 when the alleged victim’s father reported the matter to CID.

First Published Antigua Observer

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*