100 aftershocks following Tuesday’s quake

CMC – The head of the Seismic Research Centre (SRC) at the St. Augustine campus of the University of the West Indies (UWI), Dr. Joan Lutchman, Wednesday warned Trinidad and Tobago to be prepared for more aftershocks following Tuesday’s 6.1 magnitude earthquake that sent many people scampering out of their homes into the streets.

Lutchman said that since the earthquake late Tuesday evening, the country has experienced more than 100 aftershocks, but there has been no reports of injuries or severe damages. The SRC had earlier revised its figure regarding the magnitude of the quake from 6.2

She said that even though impact of Tuesday’s earthquake appears to be minimal “it should be noted that these earthquakes if they are located right under your population centers the damage can be very significant”.

Meanwhile, the chief executive officer of the Office of Disaster and Preparedness Management (ODPM) Dr. Steven Ramroop said Wednesday there is now a dire need for the implementation of a national building code in Trinidad and Tobago.

“We do not have a national building code and this is something we have been trying to get in this country for many years and we hope to God what happened yesterday we will have a greater stimulus towards developing that national building code.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*