(Kingstown) – The prosecution, on Wednesday, September 15, withdrew the charge of wounding against Annamay Lewis.
The 56-year woman was arrested and charged for wounding St Vincent’s Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonslaves on August 5 in Kingstown, the island’s capital.
A release from the Prime Minister’s office on August 5 stated that an opposition demonstrator hurled a projectile at the Prime Minister, which struck him in the head, inches above the temple.
Lawyer Kay Bacchus- Baptiste told News784 on Wednesday, September 15, that the case was set for today. However, disclosure was not given to her on the matter.
“This morning when we got to the court, the Prosecution said they were withdrawing the case against Annamay Lewis, in which she was charged with wounding the Prime Minister”.
This now means Lewis would be tried on a charge that on August 5 in Kingstown in a public place, she threw missiles to the danger of people who were present.
“I am not surprised because the confession they took from my client was bogus; they force her to confess, and they have no evidence that she did throw a stone and hit the Prime Minister”.
On Tuesday, September 14, lawyers Kay Bacchus-Baptiste and Israel Bruce predicted that the prosecution would have withdrawn the wounding charge against her client.
Lawyer Kay Bacchus Baptiste on August 5 told this publication that Annamay Lewis, whom the police picked up and accused of inflicting a wound to the Prime Minister’s head, was forced to confess to such.
Bacchus-Baptiste said the police have been spending an enormous amount of time not solving crime but arresting protesters in the last month.
“The police have been spending an enormous amount of time watching videos, interviewing people, and arresting protesters falsely”, the defence lawyer said.
Annamay Lewis will face the court on January 4 2022.