The Director of Public Prosecution has withdrawn the charge against Annamay Lewis, a 56-year woman who was arrested and charged for wounding St Vincent’s Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonslaves.
Lawyer Kay Bacchus- Baptiste told News784 on Wednesday that the case was set for today, however, disclosure was not given to her on the matter.
“This morning when we got to the court, the Prosecution said they were withdrawing the case against Annamay Lewis, in which she was charged with wounding the Prime Minister”.
“I am not surprised because the confession they took from my client was bogus, they force her to confess, and they have no evidence that she did in fact threw a stone and hit the Prime Minister”.
Bacchus-Baptiste said in the last month the police have been spending an enormous amount of time not solving crime but arresting protesters.
“The police have been spending an enormous amount of time watching videos, interviewing people, and arresting protesters falsely”.
Police on 5.8.2021, said Lewis unlawfully and maliciously wounded Mr Ralph Gonsalves, 74 years Prime Minister of Old Montrose (Dasent Cottage), by striking him on the right side of his head with an unknown object.
Lawyer Kay Bacchus Baptiste at that time said Annamay Lewis, whom the police picked up and accused of inflicting a wound to the Prime Minister’s head, was forced to confess to such.
On Tuesday lawyers Kay Bacchus-Baptiste and Israel Bruce predicted that the prosecution would have withdrawn the wounding charge.
This is a developing story