Israel closes Gaza border after mortar attack

(BBC) – Israel has again closed a major border crossing into Gaza after Palestinian militants fired a barrage of mortars and rockets into southern Israel.

Two people – believed to be Thai agricultural workers – were killed and 10 were injured on the Israeli side.
The crossing had been opened to allow entry to aid lorries from Jordan. A separate convoy entered from Egypt.
A UN spokesperson said the Kerem Shalom crossing with Israel was a crucial link to get help to those in need.
At least 212 people, including almost 100 women and children, have been killed in Gaza, according to its health ministry. In Israel 12 people,
including two children, have been killed, its medical service says.
On Tuesday Israel said at least 150 militants were among those killed in Gaza. Hamas, the Palestinian militant group that runs the territory, does not give casualty figures for fighters.
Israeli forces again shelled Gaza on Tuesday, the ninth day since the current violence began, while Palestinian militants fired a barrage of mortar shells into Israel.

The UN humanitarian agency Ocha said 52,000 people in Gaza had been displaced, of whom 47,000 had fled to UN schools.

By News784

News784 posted this article. You can send press releases and news ideas to [email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *