Premier Andrew Fahie has had talks with St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) authorities, who have given assurances that they will, in future instances, wait on official test results from the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) before linking positive COVID-19 cases to the BVI.
Health Minister Carvin Malone gave that indication on the heels of last Saturday’s announcement from SVG officials that two of their latest COVID-19 cases were persons who had travelled from the BVI 6 days earlier.
Malone said he is awaiting official confirmation from the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) located in Trinidad & Tobago.
“Nevertheless, the close contacts of both passengers have been identified and tested and will continue to be monitored over the course of the [COVID-19] incubation period,” Malone said in a public broadcast on Wednesday, September 16.
He did not clearly state whether any of these persons tested positive for COVID-19.
Last week, Malone had refused to comment on these latest reported SVG cases linked to the BVI, saying he would wait until these cases are officially verified. He recalled a previous SVG report about imported COVID-19 cases from the BVI, which later turned out to be false. (BVI NEWS)