The ban on the distribution, sale and use of disposable plastic shopping bags has been suspended until after the Christmas season.
Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves said that the temporary lifting of the ban is as a result of representation made to the Government by persons in the business community.
He said some business persons sought relief so that they could be allowed to deplete their stocks of plastic bags and also because of the COVID-19 situation.
The suspension will remain in effect until “a date after Christmas,” the Prime Minister said.
The public was advised of the ban on the use of disposable plastic bags in a release from the Ministry of Health dated August 11 and distributed to the media on August 13.
That advisory took many members of the public by surprise, as there had been no public awareness leading up to the ban.