Atlanta police Officer Rolfe fired, another reassigned after Brooks death

(FOXNEWS) – One Atlanta police officer has been fired and another has been reassigned following Friday night’s shooting death of Rayshard Brooks in the parking lot of a fast-food restaurant.

The fired officer was identified as Garrett Rolfe, who had been with the Atlanta Police Department since 2013, WSB-TV of Atlanta reported.

The second officer, identified as Devin Bronsan, was placed on administrative duty, according to the report. Bronsan has been with the department since 2018, a police spokesman told the Associated Press.

Word of the personnel moves came shortly after midnight Sunday, following hours of unrest in Atlanta on Saturday in reaction to the news of Brooks’ death.

The violence included the torching of the Wendy’s hamburger restaurant, where Brooks was shot in the parking lot after grabbing an officer’s stun gun following a struggle. Protesters also blocked traffic on a nearby interstate.

Saturday also saw the city’s police chief, Erika Shields, step down from her position in connection with the shooting, although Shields was expected to remain with the department in another role. Interim Corrections Chief Rodney Bryant would serve as interim police chief until a permanent replacement is found.

The latest protests in Atlanta followed several days and nights of other demonstrations – plus rioting – in the city that followed the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis on May 25.

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms announced the police chief’s resignation at a Saturday afternoon news conference, and called for the immediate firing of the officer who opened fire at Brooks.

“I do not believe that this was a justified use of deadly force and have called for the immediate termination of the officer,” Bottoms said.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.