Morning Updates on COVID-19 Pandemic and the National Response for Friday, April 24, 2020:
1. I am scheduled to do a walk through at the Isolation Centre this afternoon with the Agency for Public Information.
2. PAHO has donated an additional set of Personal Protective Equipment to the Ministry of Health, Wellness and the Environment. This helps to further bolster our stock levels of these critical items.
3. The Ministry of Health, Wellness and the Environment is busy with the implementation of the Supplementary Estimates. This covers a wide range of matters – purchase of equipment and supplies, preparation of public quarantine facilities, operation of the Isolation Centre, hiring additional staff, accommodation and meals for Cuban Brigade and a wide range of other issues.
4. The Prime Minister has expressed a strong policy position against shorter opening hours at banks and certain other establishments on grounds of COVID-19. He made the point that in attempting to address one problem we should be careful not to create other problems.
5. We express our heartfelt thanks to the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank for its donation of $500,000 which was used for the purchase of a PCR machine and other medical/health related-supplies.