Updates On COVID-19 Pandemic By Minister Of Health Luke Browne
1. Today marks 100 days since the first cases of COVID-19 were discovered in China. It is sobering to reflect on just how dramatically the world has changed in such a short period of time.
2. The Ministry of Health, Wellness and the Environment and the National Emergency Management Organisation are working together on our national response to COVID-19. A meeting of the National Emergency Council was scheduled for next Tuesday.
3. We received additional supplies today including a container from the Rotary Club. We thank our partners for standing shoulder-to-shoulder with us. Taiwan has been asked to provide additional assistance in the form of N95 masks (and other protective gear), thermal sensors/body temperature monitors, testing equipment, ventilators and medical support.
4. No Vincentian health worker has tested for COVID-19 to date. We have only experienced imported cases. There is no evidence of local transmission. We will continue to work hard to protect the health and rights of all Vincentians.
5. I read with interest a news story this morning about a handheld coronavirus testing device being developed in Senegal that has the potential to return results within 10 minutes. This might be a potential game-changer coming out of Africa.
All the best for the Easter Weekend.
We will beat this coronavirus pandemic together. Our faith will see us through. This could be our finest hour.