UPDATE ON COVID -19 BY MINISTER LUKE BROWNE
1. The Public Health Act of 1977 was amended in parliament yesterday. Quarantine and Isolation provisions were strengthened. The Minister of Health was empowered to declare a public health emergency if required by the circumstances on the advice of the Chief Medical Officer, and to implement special measures to mitigate or remedy the emergency.
2. The Ministry has sent off an additional 30 samples to the Caribbean Public Health Agency for testing.
3. Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro is sending 3,000 rapid tests and items for regular testing to St. Vincent and the Grenadines. The items are due to arrive here on Good Friday in the morning.
4. A team of health workers is out in the communities assessing vulnerabilities and educating the public on matters to do with COVID-19.
5. The Prime Minister has launched a Good Neighbour Partnership to fight COVID-19 which calls upon us to “Be the Best We Can!” This is a very salient message at this time of Easter.
We will beat this coronavirus pandemic together. Our faith will see us through. This could be our finest hour.