The Barbados government says while it remains committed to hosting talks aimed at finding a peaceful resolution to the ongoing economic and political crisis in Venezuela it has no intention of making any official statement on the deliberations.
Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade Minister, Dr. Jeorme Walcott, said the Mia Mottley government “remains committed to hosting the negotiations between the representatives of the principal political actors of Venezuela.
The two sides began meeting here in July and earlier this month, Norway confirmed that representatives of President Nicolas Maduro and Opposition Leader, Juan Guaido, had met here and had “reiterated their willingness to advance in the search for an agreed upon and constitutional solution”.
But media reports on August 7 quoted Maduro, whom the United States wants out of office, as ordering his representatives not to travel to Barbados for scheduled talks with the political opposition after blaming Washington for the impasse.
Washington had ordered a freeze on all Venezuelan government assets in the US and barred transactions with its authorities.
Guaido said the sanctions are “penalties for those who steal and profit from misery”.
In the brief statement, Walcott said that “Barbados reaffirms its full support for a negotiated solution to the situation in Venezuela”.
Prime Minister Mottley, who has welcomed the talks said it supports the efforts by the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) for dialogue to end the crisis.
CARICOM leaders who have in the past adopted a position of non-interference and non-intervention in the affairs of the South American country, had during their summit in St. Lucia in July re-affirmed that position.