The Water and Sewerage Company Incorporated (WASCO) said a British national who died as a result of a “fatal incident” at the Sir John Compton Dam over the last weekend had no official access to the area.
Police said they had responded Friday to “a suspected electrocution in the general area of the John Compton Dam” in Roseau on the outskirts of the capital, and later identified the body to be that of 68-year old Martin Ellis, a British national, who had been vacationing on the island.
But WASCO said that Ellis and his three young sons were “unfortunately able to access a restricted area of the Dam without first obtaining permission from the authorities to enter the compound”.
It said that access to the area “is blocked with a secured metal chain across the roadway,” and that “Ellis reportedly collapsed in this restricted area of the Dam”.
WASCO said police are investigating the matter “and the company is providing its full assistance with the process”.
WASCO extended “sincere condolences to the family of the deceased” and reminded the public “and visitors that this is a restricted area and permission must be sought prior to accessing the JCD compound”.