Vincentian national the Honorable Justice Adrian Saunders, who will assume the post as president of the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) on July 4 th, has been appointed to the Advisory Board of the Global Judicial Integrity Network by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime’s (UNODC) Global Programme for the Implementation of the Doha Declaration.
Mr. Justice Saunders is also the Chairman of the Caribbean Association of Judicial Officers (CAJO).
The 10-member Advisory Board will help identify priority challenges and emerging topics in judicial integrity and assist judiciaries in addressing those challenges as they arise.
Each of the Advisory Board members was chosen because of their active engagement in advancing judicial integrity.
The UNODC will also provide bilateral and regional technical assistance to support judiciaries in the development and implementation of strategies, measures and systems to strengthen integrity and accountability in the justice system.
The other members of the Advisory Board are:
- Duro Sessa: President of the Supreme Court of the Republic of Croatia and President of the Consultative Council of European Judges
- Masood Bin Muhammad Al-Ameri: Chief Justice of the Supreme Judicial Council, Qatar
- Maria Theresa Moura: Minister of the Superior Court of Justice in Brazil and Director-General of the Brazilian National Magistrates School
- Zainun Ali: Judge of the Federal Court, Malaysia
- Kashim Zannah: Chief Judge, High Court of Borno State, Nigeria
- Nihal Jayawickrama: Coordinator of the Judicial Integrity Group
- Jose Igreja Matos: Judge, Court of Appeal, Porto, Portugal, President of the European Association of Judges, and Vice President of the International Association of Judges.