April 13 marks 39 years since the last eruption of the La Soufrière Volcano. To commemorate this Anniversary, the National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) will host a week of activities during the period April 23- 27, 2018.
These activities will be conducted in collaboration with the University of the West Indies Seismic Research Centre (UWI-SRC) and with support from the Soufriere Monitoring Unit (SMU), the Forestry Division and the Strengthening Resilience in Volcanic Areas (STREVA) Project of the University of East Anglia (UK).
Volcano Awareness Week (VAW) as it has been coined aims to raise awareness of the risk and science associated with the La Soufrière Volcano.
As part of the 2018 Volcano Awareness Activities, the National Emergency Management Organisation and the Seismic Research Centre will conduct education and outreach activities in schools and communities on the Leeward side of the island, to compliment the “Volcano Ready Communities Project” which is ongoing in the North Leeward area.
There will also be a series of exhibitions throughout the week to show case the volcano exhibits designed and constructed by the STREVA Team.
As such these exhibits will be incorporated along with new activities with the aim of presenting the information regarding the La Soufrière Volcano in a new and exciting format that will interest students and members of the North Leeward Communities.
Two community meetings will also be held as part of these activities; one at Chateaubelair on Tuesday 24th April, 2018 and Troumaca on Thursday 26th April, 2018.
On Friday 27th April, 2018 there will be an Educational Field Trip to the La Soufrière Volcano.
This year the Educational Field Trip will be conducted via the Leewaed Trail to La Soufrière. This Educational Field Trip is opened to the public and interested persons are asked to contact NEMO for more information.
Schedule of Activities Volcano Awareness 2018:
- Monday 23rd April – School Workshop
- 9:00 a.m. – Form four geography students – St. Vincent Girls High School
- 1:00 p.m. – Form four geography students St. Vincent Grammar School
- Tuesday 24th April, 2018 – School Workshop & Exhibition – Chateaubelair Community Centre
- 9:00 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. – Petit Bordel Secondary School including a field trip along
the leeward coast for form three geography students.
- 9:00 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. – Chateaubelair Methodist School
- 1:00 p.m. – 2:45 p.m. – Fitz-Hughes Government School
- Community Meeting in Chateaubelair for residents of Richmond, Fitz Hughes, Petit Bordel and Rose Bank.
- Wednesday 25th April, 2018 – School Workshop & Exhibition – Troumaca
- 9:00 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. – Rose Hall Government School
- 1:00 p.m. – 2:45 p.m. – Troumaca Government School
- 9:00 a.m. – 11:45 p.m.- Troumaca Ontario Secondary School including a field trip along the leeward coast for form three geography students.
- Community Meeting in Troumaca for residents of Troumaca, Rose Hall, Spring Village and Coulls Hill.
- Thursday 26th April, 2018 – School Workshop & Exhibition – Troumaca
- 9:00 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. – Spring Village Government School
- 1:00 p.m. – 2:45 p.m. – West Wood Primary School
- Friday 27th April, 2018 – Educational Field Trip to La Soufriere, via the Leeward Trail
- This Field Trip is open to the public.