Jamaica: Man ‘raped’ by his dad – Males tell horrific stories

(JAMAICA STAR) – Two Jamaican males have decided they will no longer suffer in silence and have come forward with horrifying stories about how they were ‘raped’ by other males.

One of the men, George Brown*, a security guard, said his father raped him repeatedly for five years.

And Paul Black*, who now resides in Canada, said he became suicidal after a family friend took advantage of him.

“It started when I was seven and lasted until I was about 13 or so. By age nine, everything that is seen on American TV was done to me. The ordeal was cruel,” Black said.

In the case of Brown, he claimed that it was his own father that made his life a nightmare.

“Me try put it a the back a me mind and shut it out, but it nah work at all. A nuff time you hear dem tings deh happen to girls, but it happen to a lot of youth too. And like we just hide it cause we nuh waah get labelled as fish,” he said.


Brown explained that his father, who was well-respected in the community, began violating him at age 14.

“We lived with my stepmom in St Catherine. My mother lived in another parish. One Friday night after we finish watching Entertainment Report, me get up and tell him me a go a mi bed, and him hug me up and say, ‘Me son, me love yuh’. And when him a let me go, him kiss me on me lips,” he said.

Brown said his father must have noticed the shock on his face because he quickly assured him that he was just playing his fatherly role.

“Me call me madda and tell her, and she tell me say a lie me a tell, a true me nuh like the strict life,” he said.

Brown said that he brushed the matter aside after a few weeks because there was not a repeat of the incident.

“He went about his way like nothing happened until I told myself that maybe I was over thinking. But me did wrong because one night him come from work and me stepmom did a sleep and me just feel him on top a me. Me too shame to talk wah happen next,” he said.

Brown said the assaults continued, and each encounter would become worst, especially while he was preparing for CXC.

“Di dutty man stay up all night and watch di show (for English Literature), and a get erection and a tell me to come sit in his lap. Me fail the exam miserably,” he said.


Brown said the abuse stopped after he confided in a neighbour who threatened his father and told him that he was going to report him to the authorities.

He said that his father denied the allegations, saying the stories were fabricated. The neighbour, he said, made contact with his mother who eventually came and took him to live with her.

Brown said he and his father are not on speaking terms. He stated that he is undergoing several counselling sessions, but he still has major anger and trust issues.

“Me confront him more than once about what he did to me and him act like him clueless to what me a talk bout. Me have a girlfriend, and not even she me nuh tell what happen to me,” he said.

Black also has a similar story of abuse. In his case, it was a male family friend who violated him.

“The night before I did my Common Entrance Examination, I was badly abused to the point where I passed out and woke up to this man still having his way with me. I went to school the next day with hand towel padding my brief as I was still bleeding badly,” he said.

“I didn’t tell my father because he was a very ‘dark’ man and wouldn’t believe. I tried to give him hints though, but the man nearly cut me throat. I want to tell my parents, but I think the shame that would accompany such scenario would be endless,” Brown added.

Brown told THE WEEKEND STAR that his sex life is basically non-existent, and the ordeal has left him on the verge of committing suicide.

“Every time I get naked, the scars are there to tell the tale. I am still a virgin. I will never change in a locker room at work because seeing another man naked terrifies me,” he said.

“I’ve tried suicide seven times most recent last December. A year ago, I took a bottle of Paracetamol and two bottles of sleeping tablets altogether. I spent two and a half days in the hospital, and had to stop from work for a month,” he said, insisting that parents need to communicate with their kids.

Brown has never reported the matter to the police.

* Names changed to protect identities

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.