The leader of the Opposition and President of the New Democratic Party Dr. Hon. Godwin Friday was elected as Vice Chair for Policy and External Affairs on the Caribbean Democrat Union (CDU) Board for 2018.
Dr. Friday was elected at the Annual General Meeting of the CDU which took place in Miami over the weekend. The other elected members of the board include:
- Chairman: Hon. Allen Chastanet, St. Lucia
- Vice Chair Women and Minorities: Hon. Palmavon Webster, Anguilla
- Vice Chair Organizational Support: Hon. Patrick Faber, Belize
- Treasurer: Hon. Pearnel Charles Jr., Jamaica (not pictured)
- Secretary General/Public Relations Officer: Mr. Nick Francis, St. Vincent and the Grenadines
According to reports from member parties of the CDU, the gathering adopted a framework for greater cooperation, and they signed a declaration affirming the values and principles of the union.
In light of the recent catastrophic events our brothers and sisters in the neighbouring countries encountered by hurricanes Irma and Maria, the CDUensured that climate change and environmental issues were high on the agenda.
Member parties of the CDU also developed a work plan for 2018 which included increasing participation of women and youth, policy development, strengthening party structures and capacity building.
Dr. Friday noted that he was grateful for the opportunity to serve as a Vice Chair of the CDU for 2018 and looks forward to a closer working relationship with sister parties in the region going forward.