BARBADOS – MOH investigates suspected cases of gastroenteritis

(CNS) – The Ministry of Health says it is investigating 35 suspected cases of gastroenteritis on the island’s south coast.

Acting Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr Kenneth George said the majority of cases occurred over Christmas and Old Year’s, with the last case reported on January 3.

“So far, investigations suggest that the cause of the outbreak is likely to be viral in nature. While epidemiological investigations are continuing, no organisms have been identified through laboratory testing. In addition, the outbreak has not been linked to any particular food or beverage,” George revealed.

According to the Chief Medical Officer, the incubation period for viral gastroenteritis was very short and the symptoms, mainly vomiting and diarrhoea, tended to be more short-lived than bacterial diseases. Persons contracting the illness are advised to make sure they are well –hydrated.

He appealed to private doctors to report all cases of suspected gastroenteritis to the Ministry.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.