(Caribbean360) Security officials in Trinidad and Tobago are investigating a death threat made against President Anthony Carmona, even as the country’s National Security Minister Edmund Dillon said there was no “credible evidence” that the threat was legitimate.
The Trinidad Guardian newspaper reported that a man, who said he was in the army, called the Police Command Centre around 11 a.m. on Sunday and threatened that he would be “waiting by the Savannah to offload shots for the President”.
He also reportedly threatened to bomb police stations.
“The Defence Force and Special Branch have been informed accordingly – through the Police Commissioner and Chief of Defence Staff – and are taking the necessary action,” Minister Dillon said.
The newspaper reported that a senior Special Branch official met with the President just before noon yesterday.
No details about the discussions have been forthcoming.
This is the first time Carmona, whose five-year term ends next year, has received a death threat while serving as president. However, the Trinidad Guardian noted that he had been the subject of such a threat when he was a judge presiding over the trial of gang leader.