By Ernesto Cooke
Prime Minister Dr. Ralph Gonsalves says that his government will not be seeking outside assistance in the recovery effort following the passage of tropical storm Matthew last week, which left damages to homes and other infrastructures.
During the period 28th – 29th September 2016 St. Vincent and the Grenadines experienced severe rains and gusty winds from Tropical Storm Matthew that affected the Eastern Caribbean.
Dr. Gonsalves stated that the damages are manageable, saying that a complete estimate has not yet been completed and that local funds will be made available for the recovery.
One (1) person has been confirmed dead and one person, a 68-year-old man of Trigger Ridge was hospitalised and was later discharged.
There were No reports of structural damage to the road network. There are reports of twenty-seven (27) damaged homes and one (1) destroyed.
Dr. Gonsalves says the country is still recovering from the storm of 2013 and expressed confidence that funds from local resources will be used in the recovery effort following MatthewTropical.
Some 462 persons were moved into shelters across the country (177 children and 285 adults). Private and public business reopened on Friday30th September, while schools on the island resumed on Monday 3rd October 2016.